Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Nosmo king

There's an urban legend about a child being named "Nosmo King", but the real story is probably that of a grown man using it as a stage name. A little rearrangeroo shows us "No Smoking". Apparently, Mr. King now holds a seat on the DC City Council, which just passed a no smoking ban effective on January 7 of next year. From the Post:

"The D.C. Council gave final approval yesterday to a broad ban on smoking in bars, restaurants and other public places, voting 11 to 1 to add the nation's capital to a growing list of smoke-free cities and states."

I don't smoke, and I don't think people should for all the usual reasons...BUT:

The fact that people can't smoke in a bar is ridiculous. It's a bar, ladies and gentlemen. It's where people go to do unhealthy things, like kill brain cells with alcohol and put fattening food down their throats. It's not a day spa or a kindergarten class, for crying out loud. A guy sitting next to me at SOTW one night lit up a cigar and told me to let him know if it was bothering me. "I'm in a bar," I said. "If I don't want to be around smoke, I can always go someplace else." Restaurants, okay. But bars?

I'm sure there's a big number of restaurants that also have bars in them, and a big number of bars that serve food. But some places are definitively bars (SOTW), and some places are definitively restaurants (M&S). Smoke in the former, eat in the latter. If you've got a place that bills itself as "ACME Restaurant and Bar", then ask somebody else what to do, because I admit to not having an answer for this one.

1 comment:

lascotty said...

test