Sunday, April 09, 2006

Excellence

A guy called me the other night wanting to ask me some survey questions. I usually say no to surveys. Telemarketers get to introduce themselves before I put the phone next to the TV and turn up the volume. But surveys is usually a no. But this guy, John Somethingorother, who sounded like he was calling from India, wanted to talk to me about TV. Now that I can do.

I learned that I watch a full program during prime time three nights a week. There were a couple other things, but that was the big thing. I figure it's because of the sports and movies I rent. But that and the fact that the Sopranos is on makes me want to talk TV.

Almost by default, my favorite show is the Simpsons. Sustained exellence (or at least "pretty darn goodness") since 1989 is one of the great feats in TV lore. Sopranos, Deadwood, and Bones are also on the list. And I've said before that nothing makes me laugh like American Idol. But Sopranos does the little things like nobody else. The way of using the mundane to illustrate and offset the mob and crime environment is fantastic. The all-time example is a group of mob wives renting a movie, and the first thing that pops up on the screen is the FBI warning against doing anything illegal. We're constantly being given scenes of everyday life that wouldn't seem funny or outrageous or extraordinary if it weren't a Jersey mob guy saying it. Exchange from tonight's wedding scene:

C: "Allegra (the bride's name). Isn't that a cold medicine?"
P: "It means 'happiness' in Italian."
C: "What the f---'s that got to do with cold medicine?"

It's a masterful show carried out by great people up and down the line. I always sort of chuckled/grumbled whenever West Wing won an Emmy over Sopranos. I never watched WW, so I can't really judge. But the idea that it was better than the HBO mob show seemed ludicrous.

Deadwood deals with a lot of different issues in a completely different environment and manner, but the end result as far as quality is close, and occasionally equal (in my humble opinion). Many Sopranos characters are caricatures with issues. Many Deadwood characters are caricatures whose issues have issues. The craziest person in Jersey is Mary Poppins compared to the sanest in South Dakota. Add the floral and eloquent dialogue laced with ultra-vile profanity (they make cussing smell like sweet perfume), and you've got something special. Not necessarily for everybody, but special.

No comments: