Saturday, April 01, 2006

Don't Care About Fair

When word began spreading that Major League Baseball was going to investigate Barry Bonds for steroid use, a great cry went up across the sports commentary landscape. "That's not fair!" they said. "You can't investigate Barry Bonds without also investigating everybody else. Singling out Bonds is a farce. You're assuming he's guilty before you've gathered any proof. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?"

Do I think MLB should investigate across the board? Yes (and that's what they're doing, by the way). Do I care if they single out Bonds? NO. They could go after him and only him, and that would be fine by me. Barry Bonds hasn't given a damn about being fair himself. I don't see why MLB should treat him any better than he's treated other people or the game of baseball. If Bud Selig had come out and said, "We're investigating Bonds and only Bonds, and we're doing it because he's on the verge of breaking the most important record in all of sports." I'd say "Good for you."

I've also heard some of the argument, "He wasn't cheating. The stuff he was using may have been illegal, but it wasn't against the rules of baseball at the time." Oh really? What if the Cubs kidnap Albert Pujols's wife and tell him to strike out every time if he ever wants to see her again? I don't think the rules of baseball mention kidnapping, but wouldn't we all call that "cheating"? One party would be committing a crime in order to gain competitive advantage over another. Sounds like cheating to me, boys and girls.

No comments: